Monday, October 23, 2006

Week 5 (Play Week)




#10. Image generators.
There is no shortage of resources on the Image Generator Blog
and Custom Sign Generator.

Image generators are fun and so easy for those of us with no creativity or Photoshops skills!!

# 11. Library Thing

I listened to the Podcast and clicked on the link from 23 Things, it took me straight in....I don't even remember registering or that I had already catalogued 'The Precious Present' on Library Thing last year.
17 others also have this book on their shelves.
The Zeitgeist link shows just how popular this site is.

Being an 'old' cataloguer from way back, I'm dismayed that mere ordinary folk are now joining our ranks! Unfortunately the mystique we sought to portray about the elite world of cataloguing has been revealed to all. Alas we are but humans, with the foibles of mortals. Can someone help me down from my pedestal!

I like the Search facility....if the book has already been entered. Just click and add to your own collection.

Old habits die hard and I found myself entering publication details according to MARC.

Library Thing also adopts the Amazon.com style of 'similiarly tagged' books enabling you to find like minded souls! check out their collections or Join a Group!

Library Thing could be a bit of a challenge to newbies, but like any other website....spend some time clicking around to familiarise yourself with the layout.
Tagging just like on Flickr = another name for Subject Headings! (have I reached the bottom step of the pedestal?)

# 12. Roll your own Search Engine. Rollyo

Wow, this is a handy little tool. I liked the way I could customise the Search engine to just my own sites. I set up 'Travel Australia' and listed over a dozen sites. I did a search on micro breweries in Victoria and the results only came from those sites I had listed.
I also listed 2 other categories to search with Rollyo - Libraries and Recipes.
This could be a great reference tool.
It's getting late, I'm doing something wrong, cannot get my Seach Roll to show correctly, will have to try again tomorrow.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the iamge geneators