Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thing #21 Finding Podcasts

My area of interest is in Library/Librarian type podcasts, so this was my primary focus in searching for quality podcasts.

The good thing about Podcasts vs Streaming is the ability to 'pause' and return and if your connection is having hiccups you don't sit there frustrated as the audio keeps buffering and leaving you hanging for several seconds before resuming.

Here are some places I found good podcasts:

LearningTimes Library Online Community
I listened to an interesting Podcast here: "Conversations with patrons: extending your library's presence online" with Brian Matthews (The Ubiquitous Librarian Blog), Public Services Librarian at the Georgia Institute of Technology. This was broadcast on October 31st, 2006 (26 minutes).

OPAL
OPAL allows library patrons and library staff members to participate in online library programs from anywhere. Everyone is welcome to participate in OPAL programs, and libraries of all types are encouraged to become OPAL members.
I see they are offering Book Discussion groups (Chick Lit !) , History, genealogy, health & wellness, Librarianship and Information Science etc.
For those of us who are unable to attend sessions because of the time difference, podcasts are held in their archives.

SirsiDynix
Up and coming seminars and podcasts look interesting................do I know these people??

Interviews that I have missed on ABC Radio are now Podcast, so I can listen to them on my walks of an evening.
I have a Bloglines RSS feed from John Faine's Conversation Hour.

Podcast Search Engines enable us to pinpoint our Podcast topic of choice.
Podscope
Podzinger
Blinkx
Search for Audio and Video content using visual analysis and speech recognition.

No comments: