Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Web based Applications


#18 Web Based Apps.

FREE was the word that jumped out at me listening to the Podcast for this lesson.

Not having to download a single piece of software to use the Web Apps and allowing multiple users to access the same file certainly has my interest. Portability of this software no matter where you happen to be in the world is a big plus and has potential for business or private use. No need to worry about different software types, upgrades etc. and the integration with other Web 2.0 tools appeals to me.
Being a self taught Word person, I had a fiddle around in the Demo User with font styles, bullet points etc, uploaded a pic and felt pretty proud of myself.
I can see potential here for students to use this software in the library and I think we should look at offering classes on these FREE Web apps.

I looked at the 'Sample' documents and found an invoice sample that seemed quite professional.

After reading the Discussion Board on Zoho, I decided not to upload my practice page or create an account as Zoho still seems to be in Beta, but I will check back later and see how it is going.
I like Helene Blowers Tips on possible uses for Zoho Writer created using the software itself.


#19 Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

The Web 2.0 Awards had me at "Hello"!

This site has so many wonderful and amazing links it will take me well past Learning 2.0 to fully explore what has to offer, so I quickly scanned the categories and picked a couple that I think are worth mentioning.

'Craigs List' jumped out at me, a site I found many moons ago when I was researching accommodation in NYC. It is a Classifieds Site but full of 'hidden gems' and as an accommodation bargain hunter I think its great!
Slawesome looked interesting: Voice email messages, but I even after joining up I had no luck in 'Composing' my message, perhaps it does not support Firefox?


No comments: